The First Presbyterian Church of Hinckley, MN, exists to promote the glory of God in East Central Minnesota by leading people to eternal hope through faith in Jesus Christ and teaching the joy of loving Christ and their neighbors with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.
Our Beliefs and Denomination
We believe that,
- The Bible is the inspired and inerrant Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
- There is one God, eternal and self-existing in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) who are to be equally loved, honored, and adored.
- All Mankind participated in Adam’s fall from his original sinless state and is thus lost in sin and totally helpless.
- The Sovereign God, for no other reason than His own unfaithomable love and mercy, has chosen lost sinners from every nation to be redeemed by the quickening power of the Holy Spirit and through the atoning death and resurrection of His son, Jesus Christ.
- Those sinners whom the Spirit quickens, come to believe in Christ as Savior by the Word of God, are born again, become sons of God, and will persevere to the end.
- Justification is by faith and through it the undeserving sinner is clothed with the righteousness of Christ.
- The goal of God’s salvation in the life of the Christian is holiness, good works, and service for the glory of God.
- At death the Christian’s soul passes immediately into the presence of God and the unbeliever’s soul is eternally separated from God unto condemnation.
- Baptism is a sign of God’s covenant and is properly administered to children of believers in their infancy as well as to those who come as adults to trust in Christ.
- Jesus Christ will return to earth, visibly and bodily, at a time when He is not expected, to consummate history and the eternal plan of God.
- The Gospel of God’s salvation in Jesus Christ must be published to all the world as a witness before Jesus Christ returns.
More broadly, as a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), and within the bounds of the Siouxlands Presbytery, we hold to the doctrinal standards of the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechisms.
Dan was raised in central Minnesota, and, after being away for over twenty years, he is excited and grateful for the chance to return to this great state to take up the pastoral calling at First Presbyterian Church in the summer of 2021. In between, Dan lived for extended seasons in Colorado, Illinois, the Twin Cities (where he met and married his wife Jen), Massachusetts, and again in Illinois (where he served for a decade as an associate pastor). He has degrees and certificates from the Moody Bible Institute (BA in Bible and Church History), the Bethlehem Institute, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (MDiv), and Wheaton College (PhD in New Testament and Biblical Theology). On the side, he has authored books and articles, spoken at conferences, taught undergraduate and graduate courses in New Testament, and tried to play in as many softball leagues as possible. He was licensed in the Chicago Metro Presbytery of the PCA in November 2020, and was licensed and ordained in the Siouxlands Presbytery of the PCA in April 2021. He and his wife Jen have four children.